Search This Blog

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Why I can't sleep...


During our time in Haiti, we met so many families in need; really basic needs, food, water, shelter, clothes. We walked among them, touched them, prayed with them, held them, looked into their eyes. Each person had a story, lost homes, lost family, lost opportunity.

I am struggling with how to help people understand the needs of the Haitian people. We have about 6,500 people on our hearts right now that are in trouble in Haiti and whose condition is keeping me awake at night. That is 5,500 in the tent city Canaan II, 500 in the middle of the road in Carrefour, and another 500 living in tents in the courtyard of the abandonned Michelle Bennet Hospital.

Since arriving home I find myself just sitting at the computer at home thinking, how can I get some help for these people? We are working on our websites, newsletter, blogs, facebook, twitter and youtube! These are the tools that we have available. We are planning events at the Cafe to raise money and awareness. We are collecting small plastic toys (cars and trucks for boys and dolls for girls). We can't take them in until we have at least 1,000.


We need money to help re-locate the people in the middle. Then we want to try to start some micro-businesses to help them sustain themselves. I don't want to re-invent the wheel. I know that there are people doing these kinds of things, but it is difficult to break into the mega agencies. So we are taking Haiti in bite sized pieces (6,500 people at a time is a big bite!)


Most of all, I am trying to remember to cast my cares on Jesus. His arms are much better able to carry this burden than mine. But still, my heart aches, and I lie awake at night...

No comments:

Post a Comment